Printer friendly feature is required for Coret Moret, because it gives visitors a better page without to be spoiled by some Web pages attributes such as browser-minded layout. It is about stripping unnecessary HTML tags from page and remove layout block. I think this is one advantage of using DIV so removing block is well represented logically inside the document format.
To provide printer friendly pages in MT, I do these following steps:
- Create new template for printer friendly. I choose Individual template to be stripped. Remove block layout, comments, and other unnecessary header tags.
- Because printed version is attached into individual article, so inside Template section, create Archive-related Templates and use informative name, for example Printer Friendly for my template.
- Now, to use that template, in Weblog Config, section Archiving, create new archiving with Add New... button and choose Individual archive type for inserting new template.
- Back to Archiving page, create new archive name, in Archive File Template. To distinguish with existing Individual Entry Archive, I add _pf suffix. Because I use my own file name for Individual Entry Archive, so I make it both of them correlate. As the result, file perbaikan_komentar for example, will have printer friendly version namely perbaikan_komentar_pf in the same subdirectory.
- Add related URI inside any template that expose printer friendly version. For example, in the bottom of article in individual mode I insert <a href="<$MTEntryPermalink$>_pf">Printer Friendly</a>.
In short, we create a new "stripped" template and make them related in the final document. Another approach I ever read is by using mt-view.cgi that is provided by MT. This approach using dynamic view by manipulating document from database directly per request.
The bad side about my trick is: I can not prevent search engines' robots crawling these printer friendly pages, because it resides in the same directory with the original archive files. I try to save all printer friendly document in other directory with similiar structure and then protect that directory using robots.txt but I can not find any tags for to represent this alternative template. So, the final thing I can use for preventing search engines' indexing is using META tag. I know it is not good idea because the document is still fethced. Any idea?